Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vassago's Leveling (2)
I know these are few and far between..but this is 6done...and 7 will be along here shortly...hope you like it.

I set my pack down as I settled into a chair next to the pub table.  We had been traveling all day and I was worn out.  All I wanted was a tankard of mead and a descent hot meal.

Nearby the massive Barbarian, Turacon noisy settled himself next to the fireplace, that Angelic settling in besides him.  I smiled at Caelyn as she made her way my direction.  She was my "Rock" in the party.  While all of my fellows were a great boon, she was the only one from the beginning.

I pulled out my pipe and snapped my fingers producing the flame to light it.  Caelyn rolled her eyes at my showing off, and I smiled.  I was the showman after all.

The evening went well...even the Kobold Vlad managed to keep his disguise going and did not cause the usual chaos that results.  As I went up to my lodging, I noticed the pub keeper's child, a barely out of toddlerhood, watching me from what she thought was an unseen vantage.  I popped a loud snap and flash of flame before her face that made her shriek slightly  I smiled and waved at her as I closed the door.

Seeing all in the darkroom as if fully illuminated due to my shadows augmented sight.  It was not much.  A adequate bed, a stand with a candle holder with barely a candle left in it, but no basin and water flask...but no matter.

I sat on the bed and wiped the road dust off my newly acquired bracers.  I also looked at the new boots I gained on recovering that bloody flower.  The Black Huron that had it was rather insane...and was not a easy fight.  The road dust seemed to not cling to them...but that is what magic is like...without much reason for certain things. 

I decided I best get a little light on the subject, in case I had some unplanned for observers.  If  there were, I pitied them for attempting to target me as I would love to expose them to what a Shadow Sorceror was like in combat.  As I lit the candle, I was aware of a oddness in the corner if the room.  I concentrated and prepared to defend myself, when a chill came to the room. A chill I knew.

"So, you are the one she has here"  A raspy whisper inquired from the shadows.  "And an arcaner Tiefling no less."

I cast about to determine the exact source.  "That would depend," I began abit defensively, "on the intent you have in my or the Lady's plan."

A raspy laugh, "Spirited too!" the voice continued, "I see why she likes you."

Still looking, "I am not used to speaking with hidden entities."  I was happy I had managed to reestablish my mage armor before coming up the stairs, but it had tapped out my pool..so I pulled in my final 1st tier ability and powered up my pool.

"Bravado...and paranoic." the voice continued, "That is quite foolish..boy." it paused, "I am way beyond your ability, more than you realize." The voice paused again, "but I am not here to harm you, Vassago.  I just need information."

Surprised he knew my name, but only for a moment. "You say that...and you seem to have me at a disadvantage.  I still do not know your identity."

A raspy chuckle, "There is that spirit again." A broader laugh followed, "Despite having no clue, you still are asking questions." He paused, "But true, one should be somewhat civil when having a conversation."  A single point of azure light appeared in the darkness... a glowing blue sapphire..an actual gemstone. "I have many names, so many that I may not recall them all...but you can call me Lord....Lord Vecna."

My blood ran cold.  The Arch-Lich Vecna was infamous in this world.  He was not unlike a diety in many ways.  And the lore says that Vecna had a large sapphire for one of his eyes...which was even more shocking.  I swallowed a couple times, trying to keep a reign on my fear. 

"Yes, Boy.." the voice continued, "That..Vecna"  Another pause, "You see, I too reside within the Shadow Realm, and I try to keep abreast of the Ravenqueen's, chess pieces."  The eye moved slightly, "I have noticed she has spent alot of time here, so I decided I should look a little closer as well."

I let my vision slide into the power and watched for any form of spell that the Lich would happen to throw...not that I would be lucky to dodge it...but if I was to die tonight, I would do so fighting.  "What do you want to know?"

"My Lord.." the lich added. 

"I have yet to acknowlege any dominion you have over me,"  I was surprised how determined I felt, "but to be polite," I made a flourish, "My Lord."

The lich chuckled again. "I like you." Vecna replied, "Most mortals would be a quivering mass if I were to speak to them."  He paused, "But, you...you just carry on as normal."  Another pause, "Actually, you have almost completed what I needed to find out by your reactions"  I saw the eye flare as it rushed closer, a pale white glow flashed into view along side the sapphire.  "All I need is anything you know of the Ravenqueen...anything that I can use against her!" 

I felt the pressure of his will hammering my mind. "You..WILL...tell me!" the voice was nearly quiet yet bludgeoned my conciousness.

"HE MOST CERTAINLY WILL NOT!!!" A familiar voice entered my awareness.  "VILE NEKVARR!!" The new voice driped icy poison on every syllable.  "YOU HAVE NO DOMINION HERE!!"  My queen materialized out of the shadows, moving purposely to impose herself between myself and the Lich's eye manifestation. 

"Ahh my lady!" The Lich replied with the smirk evident in his voice, "I was just talking to your man here.."

"I KNOW WHAT YOU WERE DOING!" she thundered, "YOU THINK  I DO NOT KNOW ALL THAT TRANSPIRES WITH MY SHADOWS?!!"

The lich laughed again, "You are mistaken, my lady.  Vassago is an intriguing..and somewhat likeable fellow."  He paused again, "I was just getting to know him.  Nothing more.."

"LYING WILL NOT SERVE YOU, LICH!" The Ravenqueen continued.  "YOU BEST FIND YOURSELF ELSEWHERE, ABOMINATION!!" I could see the flares dancing arround her fingers as her voice grew even colder.  "YOU HAVE OVERSTEPPED YOUR BOUNDS.  I WARNED YOU ONCE!" She glaced back at me...her eyes roiling black/blue/purple vortecies.  "KEEP DEFYING ME AND YOU WILL GET TO FIND OUT WHAT NERULL DID SO LONG AGO!!"  She surged with incadescent dark fury, "THAT FORM MAY HAVE DEFEATED DEATH, BUT EVEN AN UNDEAD CAN DIE!"  I could feel the rage growing arround me.  My queen was a font of sheer destruction building to erupt explosively at any moment. "CARE TO TEST MY THEORY?!"

The mirth had drained from the Lich's voice.  "I can not say you don't have the power to push the limits of my existance...despite my own bravado...because I too know the limits of my existance."  The sapphire orb turned back to me, "But such a conflict would have vast collateral damage.  I suspect Vassago would not survive."  The mirth returned, "And I am not there in any event."

"THAT IS WHY I HAVE NOT USED YOUR ROTTING CARCASS TO MOP THE FLOOR!"  I felt her fury transform into a cold resolve, "AND, YOU ARE HERE IF I WISH IT!"  Her hand shot out to the eye and grasped just below, before starting to draw it back, a Bejeweled Skull of ancient bone held firmly in her hand...appeared out of the gloom

"Woman!" The Lich's voice had lost all humour. "You will let go!"  The malice now being palletable. "If I have to force my way free, your pet will die!"  I could see the power pooling between the two.  "I will only tollerate your touch for a moment more." 

"THREATS? IS THAT THE BEST YOU CAN DO?" She seethed. "I HAVE BUT TO FOCUS MY WILL AND YOUR HEAD BECOMES MY TROPHY"

It happened in mere moments, The Lich created a fireball and hurled it my direction.  I saw the weave, and I prepared to get out of the way ...though expecting another visit to the threshold of death, I steeled myself for the impending pain.  It never arrived..

As I watched, the Ravenqueen released her hold on the Lich and both her hands blurred as she rapidly did something to the weave.  In that slow motion one experiences as life faces a dire threat, I saw her tug, pull and twist the the weave of the Lich's spell and it vanished into the Ether. 

The Lich's eyes flared as his spell fizzed.  His skull faded as he sought to retreat.  "YOU HAVE NOT ESCAPED THAT EASILY, CORRUPTION!!" Her hand shot back out to grasp the skull.  Vecna gasped as he was wrenched back into her presence. "TO ATTACK ONE IF MY SHADOWS..MY FAVORED EVEN MORE FAVORED THAN MY SHADOW-KAI!"  She drew the skull up to her face...our surroundings flared into a writhing blackness.  "INSOLENCE I WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO NOT PAY FOR THAT TRANSGRESSION!!"  Her other hand came up and grasped the Sapphire in the right socket...and began to pull.  The Lich fought back, but her grip was unbreakable.  He started yelling and then shrieked as the Sapphire came free in a shower of magic sparks.  She let go of the skull and it quickly faded. 

My queen seemed to be unmoving for a moment, then she seemed to crumble.  In her left hand, the Sapphire gleamed.  As I feared that she would fall. As she teetered, I stepped quickly to catch her.  She looked up at me a smiled slightly, her expression revealing her great weariness.  I gathered her up close, "Are you alright, my lady?"

"Yes my love," she replied in a tired voice. "That Evil corruption has been growing more of a hinderance daily."  She drew a breath as she managed to get her feet under her. "I just did not think he would be so bold so quickly."  She placed a hand on my cheek.  "But he will not harm you."

I just held her close as her strength returned.  Her form feeling beyond pleasant as she lay against me. I felt her strength returning, but she only shifted to a more comfortable position within my embrace. Several minutes passed, then she slowly pulled back.  "That vile thing cares little for anything but his own ends..." she tossed the Sapphire into the air and  caught it. I noticed there was a slight glow to it yet."But this is something he will not forget.  I sent him reeling." She smiled, "It will serve him well to remember he is not as all powerful as he believes he is."

I said nothing as she seemed to gather her thoughts.  She seemed to be lost in thought as her breathing grew more robust.  The battle did tax her some...and I stayed quiet...thankful for her intervention.  Vecna was a god in almost every sense...and fighting his evil is something beyond my ability.

She finally looked at me and smiled.  I realized we were not in the room we started out in.  "Yes, my dear.." she answered my inquiring look.  "I have relocated to us elsewhere.  Vecna may be weakened but his minions are not, so I thought it best we were not where he expected us to be."  She turned slightly.  "And besides...we need to train you some more."

I smiled, "I expected you to be along soon." 

She chuckled at my expression.  "You Imp!" She waved a finger at me, "Your mind needs to be better focused."

I leered in an exagerated manner which drew a laugh.  "My jester!" She shook her head, "I may have created a monster here."  We both laughed.  "Seriously...we do need to train you."

"I know." I smiled. "I just could not help myself." She smiled again, "With such stunning beauty in evidence..." 

She laughed, " Flatterer.."

I moved closer and she took my hand. "You are such a relief."  She pecked me on the cheek.  "But, later..training first."  We walked along..and the background blurred again.  The new setting was a structure that looked delapidated for a moment before it shown in a dark radience under a full moon.  I had seen that before.  The Shadowfell is normally a dreary place...but I figure my queen is making the changes as she moved.

A few moments passed as we stepped inside the structure, then she turned and cast some sort of spell..a very complex weave that left the door and windows with a sparkling black sheets covering them completely.

"Now," she turned to me with a smile,  "with that vile thing making trouble I want to give you a tool to use against his machinations."  She took my hands. "You saw me unravel his fireball as he cast it."  I nodded.  "That is what I want to teach you that."  She smiled, "It's a Counterspell.  It works to undo the spell as it is cast.  It may not always work...especially if it is cast by someone of greater power...but it should give you the chance to undo a spell cast at you."

She walked me over to a table.  "Here are the  somatic gestures you need to do."  She showed me the gestures a couple times, having me mimic her motions.  "You will need to be watching the weave to accomplish this."  She gave me another smile, "This will also be an order of the third tier...which, my dear Shadow, your advancement has expanded your ability as to not deprive you of the primary attack you like to use."  I was engrossed. "Now..I will cast a spell and have you counter it.  I will help you by instructing you to see the ways you can undo the weave." 

She stepped away and faced me. "Ready?"

I smiled and wiggled my eyebrows.  She laughed, " Vassago!"  She scolded.

"I Know..I know" I replied sheepishly.  "Sorry."

She eyed me. "You go to far, sometimes."  She smiled, " I can tell you are nervous.  No need to be."

She turned her back to me and paused.  I let my sight slip into the weave in time for her to final step of a standard Chaos Bolt spell.  As she spun to cadt it, my gands were already moving as if having a mind of their own.  The weave containing the bolt unravelled as soon as it left her hands, fizzling in the air between us.

"Excellent!" My queen intoned, "But you recognized the spell as I cast it.  Your mind already knew where to pull to unravel the weave."  She paused, "Not everyone will be so curtious as to cast spells you know."  She paused, "No...not curtious at..." She threw a spell I did not recognize."

My vision flashed into the weave and saw the pattern construct...and sought where I could disrupt it.  A quick pair of moves and the spell fizzled in front of me.

Delightful laughter filled the air.  In her next breath, she smiled and praised my action, "Excellent!"  She continued, "I thought I got you with that."  She smirked, "I thought a burning hands was safe as you are pretty much fireproof."

"Yes.." I said said a little more smartly than I intended.  Smiling, I continued, "You are being a bit unfair, distracting me with you beauty and all..."

She blushed slightly, "Oh you...." she smiled coyly.  Several moments passed. "Must you always catch me offguard like that?" She whispered as she crossed to me. 

"Just lucky, I guess." I said with a slight grin.  She hugged me tight.  "Don't ever change." She whispered in my ear.

Another couple moments passed as she held me tight.  She then slowly stepped back and drew a breath.  "You are a very capable study." she began.  "I watched as your perception shifted and your hands came up already working to unravel the spell.  I do not think we need to instruct you any more on that."  She looked up, " You just need to remember that you will not always be able to succeed."  She looked a little contempationary. "The higher order the spell the harder it will be to undue.  But you will at least have a chance."

Several hours passed while we enjoyed each oyher's company.  She filled me in abit more about Vecna and his apparent thuirst for power.  She cautioned  me that he or his agents will probably cause me trouble in the future.  To that end, she took up the Sapphire that was recently was Vecna's eye.  She held it up in front of me and released it...it started to glow with a deep purple light as it slowly revolved.  The light intensified as the revolutions in creased.  I shielded my eyes with my hand as the light grew too bright.  There was an intense flash of dark purple..then it faded to nothingness.  The Sapphire disc was now a deep purple spindle. 

She took the gem aback into her hands and a soft glow returned.  She then produced a clasp that would easily fit on my focus chain.  "I can not do much at this time, but this will hum softly if any of his agent or abominations are near.  It will also alert me so I can come look in.  I have put that Nek-varr on notice.  He is to stay away from you...and I have hurt him...and though he is powerful...he now knows I can hurt him at will."  Even an abomination like him should feel fear sometimes. 

Things continued for some time...before I realized that it was already dawn back where my group was, and I may indeed be missed.  My Queen smiled sadly, but complied.  As her magic started, I saw the Lady Caelyn and the Cleric Oscar, standing in my room.  Shadows were still very long inside, but they appeared worried.  As our portal finished forming, I hear Oskar pondering aloud what could have happened to me.  As I was about to stride through it, my queen gathered me up on e more and kissed my cheek, "Until next time, my Shadow."  Her arms slid away from me as I stepped from the Shadow Realm into a long shadow at the corner of the room.

The portal hid me initially for a moment but when it cleared I was standing there in the Shadowed corner of my room.  "Caelyn, Oskar?  Is something wrong?"

The dwarf spouted a few choice words in Khuzdul.  "Where the hell have you been?" Caelyn also looked quizically.

"Off walking the Shadows.  Something I only recently figured out how to do...and lost track of time."  I sort of smiled sheepishly. "Sorry if I upset everyone."  I looked over at my stuff, noting my Bracers were gone. "And someone tell Vlad I want my property back."  I started gathering up my stuff...and noticed Caelyn lingering, her eyes drawn to my left wrist.  "Vassago...you must tell me how your night went.  By the look their is some story there."  I just smiled and continued to prepare for the morning.  Another day on the road lay before me.

Messages In This Thread
Vassago's Leveling (2) - by The-Pendragon - 06-12-2018, 12:11 AM
RE: Vassago's Leveling (2) - by frenzied67 - 06-15-2018, 07:45 PM
RE: Vassago's Leveling (2) - by The-Pendragon - 07-30-2018, 11:18 PM
RE: Vassago's Leveling (4) - by The-Pendragon - 09-29-2018, 03:12 PM
RE: Vassago's Leveling (2) - by The-Pendragon - 09-24-2019, 06:51 PM
RE: Vassago's Leveling (2) - by The-Pendragon - 07-18-2020, 01:53 PM