Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bahiyya
Once upon a time, my father, an Elf who hailed (mainly, we think) from Shandeer, fell in love with my (mostly, we think) Human mother, who hailed from Mandagar. They had me. Shandeer is the loveliest place in Erath, but I never felt completely at home there. I missed Mandagar, but my ... heritage makes me not completely trusted there, either. Whispers of "djinn" and "pari" follow in my wake -- spirit creatures, respected and even revered -- but not necessarily loved or trusted among the people.

To my father's sorrow, I decided to leave our fair homeland and head north. I wanted to see the world, and I thought that I could learn new magics and new ways of fighting. With heavy heart, my father sent me to the care of Aramund Grindell, an old military friend in Sedaria. I was delighted by Sedaria and its cosmopolitan capital city, full of commerce, activity, and folk of all sorts. I began serious training with some colleagues of Aramund. I was delighted, too, to think I'd found love at last, in the arms of the dashing rogue Arcangelo. How could I resist? Unfortunately, Arcangelo had ... a different outlook on things. He's not the type to stick to anything for very long ... or anyone. Nor was he completely truthful in all he told me.

I was heartbroken. I tried to hide it from Aramund and the others, but my performance on the training ground suffered. Finally Aramund pulled me aside for a talk. I begged him not to speak of these matters to my father. Aramund waved that aside, saying the real issue was that I had true talent, and that it was a damn shame to let some fool of a rogue get in the way of perfecting it. "You could hone your skills to be sharper 'n' the king's sword, if you work at it. That idiot boy - he's not worthy of you. I can't abide useless people, and that's what he is. You're a descendant of Elgin VanDryeth, for the gods' sakes! Stop wasting your time. You're nobody's toy and nobody's fool. Get back to what you're best at, girl, and when roadblocks like him get in your way, you charge right over 'em."

I cried, but realized he was right. Even so, I found it hard to concentrate -- everything in the city reminded me of Arcangelo. At length, I decided to head to Freehold, thinking the new sights and -- they said -- freewheeling atmosphere might be just the thing to clear my head and give me a fresh start. Aramund sent me down with some elven guards he knew. I made it to Freehold ... eventually. But that is another story for another time, a story that is still being told.

These days, I try to keep my focus on my skills. When I'm using a blade, or channeling arcane forces, I feel truly alive. No worries about belonging, or acceptance -- just me and my skill, against the odds.