Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions and Requests regarding 5E Character Creation.
Being presumptive, but hoping that I am merely helpful, I thought I would start a thread if we have questions about character generation.

I chose the Soldier Background for my character, but in his genesis story I have made him an outcast from his city and its armies.  I was wondering if I can exchange the Military Rank feature for the bonus language of Elven, since the Armies of Al Madii consider Enkili a deserter?  If not I will rewrite the background story and correct the character sheet (I was meaning to ask you first, Irik, but allowed myself to get distracted).

Also, where game mechanics are concerned, will you allow our new characters the ability to swap out feats during level changes?  There is no mechanism for that in the rules as is?

When it comes to looting a fallen foe, which would be the most likely skill to be used, would it be Investigation (an intelligence based check) or Perception (a wisdom check)? Reading both descriptions indicate that either feature is used to "locate hidden objects". I may have to change my Alternate Human free skill to reflect the right skill set.
While I would like to avoid switching around backstory features and proficiencies, I see no harm in trading military rank for the Elven language. Although your character was a soldier at one time, his rank has been stripped from him and he would no longer hold influence in any of the Mandagan warbands.

Although I may opt to allow a trade prior to use in game, retraining will no longer be used to swap out feats and proficiencies during level changes. Keep in mind that there is a mechanism for learning additional feats and proficiencies during downtime, so it is not really a loss to eliminate retraining in the way we've done it in the past.

In regard to investigation and perception, they function very similar to 3.5e search and spot (respectively). There may be instances where they seem to overlap. Investigation relies on observation and deduction and Perception relies on awareness and natural senses. You would use perception to spot something out of the ordinary in your surroundings, as well as scan the area around you, but you'd use investigate to actually search your surroundings. Investigate would also be used to deduce facts from examining clues.

There is a nice article that explains the topic located at: http://dmsworkshop.com/2019/06/21/dnd-ti...stigation/ (a big thanks to Ipsimus Arcanus!)
Regarding Enkili's lack of choices for weapons, I was wondering if we could "flavor out" the greatsword to have a Mandagar flavor?  Have the same stats as the greatsword, but say it has the shape of the shamshir (proud tiger tail) sword, just as the one pictured on Enkili's token?  We could say giving the blade its curve cost the ten gold pieces I would have been reimbursed by switching to the greatsword.  I'm sure that TSR and WOTC only included the tegha because they call it the "headsman's" sword in real life, but the evidence indicates that the Hindu culture stopped using that blade for combat almost as soon as they created it.  They could only hit someone if they were bound and strapped to an executioners block with the tegha.  The only thing nice about the tegha is that its broad ugly blade could be a canvas for etching and or inlay decorations.  Again I beg you, and this time I will sacrifice a... future cavaliers horse, or non cavaliers camel Smile

Historical accuracy has been an issue for D&D in all its versions, even when weapons experts are involved, so it's no surprise that it continues to plague D&D 5e.
I think it would be better to think of the listed weapons as categories instead of specific weapons.

I am unsure I understood what you were asking for, but the Shamshir would use the stats of a scimitar because its qualities are more in line with a scimitar than with a greatsword.
(07-27-2020, 12:30 PM)Ravenblade Wrote: Historical accuracy has been an issue for D&D in all its versions, even when weapons experts are involved, so it's no surprise that it continues to plague D&D 5e.
I think it would be better to think of the listed weapons as categories instead of specific weapons.

I am unsure I understood what you were asking for, but the Shamshir would use the stats of a scimitar because its qualities are more in line with a scimitar than with a greatsword.

D&D has always underpowered and undervalued middle eastern style blades in their game statistics, despite the fact that they fare better in chopping/hacking competitions in real life.  I was just wanting a middle eastern style curved sword comparable to the greatsword.  Please just change Enkili's weapon to a greatsword, which is 50 gp instead of 60, 6# instead of 5#, 2d6 damage instead of 1d10, Heavy and Two Handed while lacking the 'Deadly' feature. I'll just lose the Mandagar flavor I wanted to hew true too. Smile
Photo 
Or you can use the Mandagan Greatsword which uses the stats for the Claymore*: Costs 60gp; 1d12 slashing; 7lbs; and has deadly, heavy, two-handed properties.

The Mandagan Greatsword has a very similar design to the Saif or Shamshir, although it has a longer grip and a slightly broader, heavier blade. It also commonly has a slight 's-shaped' guard that points forward at the blade and back at the grip.

* source: Wraith Wright Comprehensive Equipment Manual v3.0
(07-27-2020, 03:53 PM)Ravenblade Wrote: Or you can use the Mandagan Greatsword which uses the stats for the Claymore*: Costs 60gp; 1d12 slashing; 7lbs; and has deadly, heavy, two-handed properties.

* source: Wraith Wright Comprehensive Equipment Manual v3.0

There we go! I did not see that in the Mandagan's only equipment list. Man, Enkili is glad you're on the job! We will take the "Mandagan Greatsword" and rejoice! I will change the backstory and character sheet in the forum to formalize this change.
Dear Dungeon Master,
I just reread the passage about downtime activities. Under the heading of training the passage mentions that 250 days (and g.p.'s) the character can learn a new language or learn how to use a new tools set; the passage also intimates that the DM may allow other training options. What other training options would you allow if you allowed any? Skills possibly? Feats maybe? Getting our Character's names in The Quimblies Book of Erathian Records for the longest string of ears taken as coup?
I was reading up on the Warforged, since I may have to make a new character soon (and I want to take you up on the "compelling backstory" challenge). Under the Juggernaut sub-race it says "Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift." I can not find the rules in the books that cover that, unless it is covered in a Monster manual or tome of that ilk? Could you direct me to the right source of information on this?
I have been studying the Eldritch Knight  fighter archetype, just for $h1t$ & 6166l3$.  The Prestidigitation cantrip says it can create a minor sensory effect.  I was wondering if, for an hour of time, that Prestidigitation magic could dampen the sound of clanking armor?  Heavy armor causes disadvantage in stealth checks because of all the clanking and rattling, I would think that an Eldritch Knight would use his/her spells to negate disadvantages where possible, if a cantrip can serve then world saving/ loot grabbing has become a whole lot easier.