Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vassago's Leveling (2)
Be it that...or not....I enjoy doing these....so here is the next installment...Level 3 Metamagics of Extend and Embolden learned...and Shadowblade

With the setting sun now behind the distant hills, our party was winding down from the days events and preparing for  the night.  It had been a long couple of days and the last battle against those strange creatures atop the Ruined tower of the Necromancer had over taxed us all...myself included.

Musing as fatigue washed over me, I reviewed the events of the last few days.  I was still exhilarated in my new found ability to tap into the raw energies of the shadows but still had some doubt as to where to proceed next.  The Raven Queen had opened my eyes, revealing that my journey to greatness had just begun, so I knew I would find my way despite any misgivings.  After a moment, I chastized myself for doubting...it would all work out.

As the sky grew darker, I pondered many things as my first vigil saw the rise of the moon, a full crescent as it illuminated my surroundings in a soft silver sheen.   Soon, my vigil came to a close as the beauteous Caelynn rose and took my place,

Lying on my bedroll, gazing at the reflected moonlight on the small pond nearby, I observed the interplay of light and darkness as the surface rippled slightly in the cool breeze and my eyes lost focus as sleep took ahold of me,

My sonambulistic sojurn was not what I expected.  I found myself standing on the shore of the same pond, the moonlight rippling, yet there was no moon in the sky to produce them.  I paused a moment, trying to fathom out what I was seeing.  Then I saw her,  The Raven Queen,  standing at the waters edge, a sly smile upon her face.

"I was beginning to wonder." she said coyly.  "Wonder if my slugabed would show up for his next lesson, or would I have to come roust him out myself."

I smiled impishly, "The thought of you in my bedroll does have some pleasant implications."

She laughed, "That is what I adore about you, my dear Vassago. Despite all the troubles I face, you can always make me laugh"  She beconned me over.  "If you can spare me the attention...I have some more to show you."

"For you, my queen, anything." I said, striding over to her.  She eyed me from under her long lashes, drawing another smile from me.  She truly was stunning and it was very hard not to be attracted to her.

She must have caught my expression, "Now, my dear shadow, I said I have something more to teach you," she shook a finger at me, "To do that, I need your undivided attention."  She looked at me, "Seriously now.  It is an important step and you need to pay close heed to what I show you."

I interupted her momentarily, "If you wanted to show me the next step, then why not come to me as you did before?"  I paused, "Why wait until I I was asleep?"

She smiled, "Because I can not manipulate the power in the way I need to demonstrate to you in that world."  She drew a breath, "I can easily show you in this realm as I am a mistress of it, in a way.  I do not rule it, but I control it, at least locally.  Plus, I am unable to reach you as easily as before."  She looks at me and smiled anew, "And I figured if I got you asleep, you might not be so flirtatious," She chuckled at my broader smile, "But I see that is not possible."  She laughed again, "You are so utterly hopeless..." she admonished me with a smile.

"What can I say?" I replied, "It's a gift." She laughed again, then pecked my cheek.  "Oh dear," she continued with a exagerated expression, "You need to shave." 

I rubbed my face vigorously, making scratching sounds with my gift of thurmaturgy, "I suppose I do...but that was for the morning." I looked at her questioningly, "You were talking about a lesson..."

She smacked my shoulder lightly, "Jester!" she teased.  As I looked pained, she let out an exagerated breath, "What am I going to do with you?"  As I opened my mouth to answer,  she interupted me, "Now hush!  None of that!" again the admonishing finger, "You are incorrigable!"

"And that is why you like me so" I retorted, with another smile.

"Guilty." she said, "but that is not the issue here."  She turned and pointed at the ribbons of light, "This is what I need you to see." she paused again, "The interface of light and dark, the boundaries that are shadow."  she gestured, "You see them?"

I gazed intently at the light as it plied accross the dark water.  I could see more and more definition as I held my eyes to the ribbons.  So intent on them that I failed to see the water fade away, leaving just the bands of light and dark.  I watched as the boundaries between took on a particular blue-purple sheen I was now familiar with since learning of the power.

"Excellent!" The Raven Queen praised, "I can see what you see in my mind.  You are ready for the lesson."  She stretched her hand out over a particular ribbon of glistening shadow, "Your abilities are more than you think." she looked at me and smiled, "You perceive the true power you have access to, and can draw upon it for formulate your will.  But, you can do more than that."  

She gestured with her off hand and I watched as the ribon folded over on itself, the folded again, returning to it's original course, though there was a substancial thickening as the folds now merged back into the ribbon.  I could see the motes within glittering intensely.  I raised my hand toward it and could feel the power racing as it strove to be released.  She looked back at me, her eyes sharing the same motes, "This is one of the ways you can shape the power." she drew her hand up under the ribbon, draping it in her palm as she began to shape and mold it into a attack form. "I have made this effect embolden the outcome, to inflict a higher yield in destructive power."  she turned her hand over and let the ribbon fall into nothingness.  "You can do it as well.  Try it."

I paused momentarily, a little unsure of myself.  As she urged me on, I reached out to another strand, and gently willed it to fold over on itself, like she had done.  Though there was a little resistance at first, I found I could do it with minimal effort soon enough.  I took the strand and shaped it into my much favored "Bolt of Chaos" and directed it out and away.  I was pleased to see that the brighter motes were visible withing the bolt as it carreened away out of sight.  I smiled to myself. 

"Impressive." The Raven Queen praised, "I was right about you...you are a something exceptional."  Her beaming smile made me slightly embarrassed at her flattery.  I was never one to easily deal with it, no matter the source. "Thank you, my lady" I intoned.

She seemed to not notice my awkward reply, beginning her next demontration.  This time, instead of folding the strands, she wove them into a lattice like pattern, then cast it adrift where it slowly faded away.  "This is how one prolongs the effect of a power.  That simple form woiuld double the duration.  A More complex form would be required to double it again, and again, up intil a fill day cycle was the result."  She saw my eager expression, "Okay, you try it."

Again I streched out my hand and felt the energy ripple slightily,  in respone.  I then wover it in and out and then shaped a barrier effect that I used, and released it.  The barrier took hold, and then wrapped over me, the lattice fading into the form.  I knew it would last me for a   full morning and afternoon with that affed effect. I grinned, "This is exhilerating!"

"Yes it is," she replied with a grin of her own.  "This power...this raw magic...is our life's blood...our essence" She gestured about, "We live within it... bathe in it...eat, drink and breathe it."  She turned back, "It is why we are what we are, manifestations of that raw magic, given a purpose.  My guidance gives this power a conduit through the shadows,and your skills learn to harness the shadows and bring them to your bidding."

I gazed, slightly enraptured.  Her beauty only seemed to intensify as her passion grew.  I understood what she was saying, but reveled in how she was saying it.

"Wizards never grasp the power like we do." She continued, "Learning complex and rigid formulations that give them access to it, but they can not feel it." She took a breath,   "Warlocks only gain a few benefits from their patrons, and though freer than wizards, they still do not share our skill."  She paused, noting my expression, "What is it?"

"You." I smiled at her, " I so love to hear you speak in such a passionate way."  Some color appeared on her pale cheeks.  She smirked slightly, "And that is something else that makes you, you."  She chuckled, "Making even a goddess blush.  That takes some skill."

I chuckled softly.  "I am glad I can do that."  I looked into her black within black eyes, "Even a Goddess deserves a to feel a little human emotion."  

She stepped over to me, wrapping her arms arround me and kissed me.  Again, the traces of fire and ice upon contact with her lips.  She lingered a moment the drew back.  "Thank you." she said softly.

I smiled as she disengaged herself, then she started speaking again, "What I have taught you is what some call Metamagics...the way to manipulate the power itself."

I nodded, "So what is the next one?" I asked.

Her face took on a slightly sad cast.  "I am sorry, dearest, but you only can get those two, for now." As my face contorted a little in disagreement, "I mean it." she contined softly, "You are still new to the power and your skill will not allow you any further teaching, but you will learn more as you hone your abilities...and I will be here to teach you."  She saw I was still disappointed, "But we are not quite done." she said with a smile, I have one more thing to show you."  She took my hand and had me hold it like I held one of my daggers, "Now," she continued, "The signature ability of a Shadow."  She took her hand away and mimicked my gesture.  In a moment, a band of rippling shadow sprung from her hand, extending to the length of a common sword and she smiled, "Your turn."  

I held my breath as I considered what would be needed to manifest a blade of darkness like hers. I felt a gentle prodding as my mind worked through the shaping, "That's it...carefully...focus.." a Blade shot out of my hand.  I starred at it, breathing again.  The blade form rippled but was substancial enough.  I could touch it and it did have some form to it, but the blade had no weight.

"The Shadowblade,"  she explained, "Is a manifestation of the shadow power and will act just like a real weapon, damaging anything it strikes, and yet it requires not real skill to wield it, as the power guides itself pretty much....and one more thing..." She threw the blade like a knife, and it flashed quickly into the surrounding gloom, only to reappear in her hand seconds later, "The blade can be thrown, and it will reform in your hand instantly upon command," she paused, "for the duration...and yes...you can metamagic it fully."  She let her hand relax and the blade faded into nothingness.  "You will never be unarmed with his skill."  She flexed her lithe fingers, "Just recall it is a more complex form that what you are used to using, so it will require more energy."

I was amazed, and overjoyed.  I wondered what my companions would say when I produced a blade out of nothing with but a simple act of will.  I chuckled softly as I pondered that, failing to note that it was getting brighter.  When I realized it, I looked at the the Raven Queen.  Her eyes had a slight sadness to them, though I doubt no one but those like me could tell.  "What is it?"

"I must go, dear one." she intoned, "My attentions are needed elsewhere, but I am reluctant to leave."  She smiled sadly.  "You are such a breath of fresh air to me, that I find I loathe to part...but I must." she walked over to me and embraced me again, "Be safe, My Shadow, be safe."  As I was about to reply, I awoke to the sounds of morning.  I could still feel her embrace as the dreamstate faded.  I too felt a little remorse, as I cared for her as much as she cared for me, and I pondered just how lonely her existance must be as she was drug all over the world and beyond.  As I got to my feet and started to pack things up, a single raven feather fell from my bedroll, making me smile anew.  A new day had dawned, and I was eager to test my new found skill.  Perhaps I could make the Drow jealous.....

Messages In This Thread
Vassago's Leveling (2) - by The-Pendragon - 06-12-2018, 12:11 AM
RE: Vassago's Leveling (2) - by frenzied67 - 06-15-2018, 07:45 PM
RE: Vassago's Leveling (2) - by The-Pendragon - 07-30-2018, 11:18 PM
RE: Vassago's Leveling (4) - by The-Pendragon - 09-29-2018, 03:12 PM
RE: Vassago's Leveling (2) - by The-Pendragon - 09-24-2019, 06:51 PM
RE: Vassago's Leveling (2) - by The-Pendragon - 07-18-2020, 01:53 PM