Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions and Requests regarding 5E Character Creation.
While I would like to avoid switching around backstory features and proficiencies, I see no harm in trading military rank for the Elven language. Although your character was a soldier at one time, his rank has been stripped from him and he would no longer hold influence in any of the Mandagan warbands.

Although I may opt to allow a trade prior to use in game, retraining will no longer be used to swap out feats and proficiencies during level changes. Keep in mind that there is a mechanism for learning additional feats and proficiencies during downtime, so it is not really a loss to eliminate retraining in the way we've done it in the past.

In regard to investigation and perception, they function very similar to 3.5e search and spot (respectively). There may be instances where they seem to overlap. Investigation relies on observation and deduction and Perception relies on awareness and natural senses. You would use perception to spot something out of the ordinary in your surroundings, as well as scan the area around you, but you'd use investigate to actually search your surroundings. Investigate would also be used to deduce facts from examining clues.

There is a nice article that explains the topic located at: http://dmsworkshop.com/2019/06/21/dnd-ti...stigation/ (a big thanks to Ipsimus Arcanus!)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Questions and Requests regarding 5E Character Creation. - by Ravenblade - 07-14-2020, 11:07 PM