Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homework addendum - notes/info.
Information 
Hi everyone, and by everyone I mean Symon and Thorfinn, I want to expand upon some of what DM and Kearse said in the Homework/Cargo thread. I hope this helps a bit with some of the backstory and detail.

* The standard wages for the crew on this ship now carry a bonus. Bahiyya (and Kearse, I think) authorized this. This is because bad news got around -- the storm, the 50% crew death rate, and the flight of 2/3 of the merchants. In game terms, this meant a -5 reputation penalty when it came to hiring. It turns out that boosting reputation has a price, and that price is exactly 3 sp per sailor. I felt that a few silver pieces were a fair trade in order to get rid of the tarnished reputation. Consider it "silver polish." Big Grin

* Speaking of crew: yes, 72 sailors. "The hell ... !?" you say. Well, here's the deal: when we went out last time, we had a much smaller crew. Losing 1/2 of that crew meant that we couldn't realistically sail onwards. That's why we're back at this port. Also, shifts can be spread out better amongst a larger crew, leaving the sailors more well-rested, and boosting morale among the ranks. This means they will work better, and less likely to mutiny. Plus, a surplus of crew means that we have more people to draw from if there is illness and/or death. This means we can keep going instead of turning back again.

In other words, Symon, I am living my dream by doing EXACTLY WHAT CORPORATE AMERICA REFUSES TO DO IN ITS HIRING PRACTICES UP YOURS CORPORATE AMERICA not that I'm bitter or anything.  Sleepy

Anyway, more crew = higher morale; better work; less mutiny; and a greater surplus/pool in case **** goes south again.

* Speaking of crew again: Did you know that there is a Seafarers' Guild? There is. They have nifty tattoos, indicative of membership and rank, and you can see these tattoos when you get into Fantasy Grounds again. Sailors who aren't guild members aren't necessarily bad, but I think the captain had a preference for guild members in good standing, especially ones of higher rank/experience. Ex-guild members -- those who have had their membership revoked by the guild due to bad behavior -- are obviously not desirable, and we weeded out at least one of those during the hiring process.

* Remember Oleg, the soldier from Onostia who sailed with us before as Hanter the Merchant's bodyguard? Oleg also accompanied us to the derelict Mary Celeste, I mean, Alexandra. Oleg is sailing with us again, y'all! Apparently he bought out his own mercenary contract and is no longer beholden to that merchant anymore. He likes the Acacia and wanted to sail with it again. He was worried about not being a Guild member, but Bahiyya found him on the docks and encouraged him to apply. She put in a good word for him, but the captain is pleased to hire him anyway, due to his past experience and his familiarity with the ship. Hurray! Thorfinn, did you know that he has a daughter of around Aurora's age? Smile

* Speaking of merchants: only Lyrlord will be with us for the redux voyage. Hanter and Ercell cut their losses and bailed.
(12-03-2018, 09:45 PM)Xura Wrote: Hi everyone, and by everyone I mean Symon and Thorfinn, I want to expand upon some of what DM and Kearse said in the Homework/Cargo thread. I hope this helps a bit with some of the backstory and detail.

* The standard wages for the crew on this ship now carry a bonus. Bahiyya (and Kearse, I think) authorized this. This is because bad news got around -- the storm, the 50% crew death rate, and the flight of 2/3 of the merchants. In game terms, this meant a -5 reputation penalty when it came to hiring. It turns out that boosting reputation has a price, and that price is exactly 3 sp per sailor. I felt that a few silver pieces were a fair trade in order to get rid of the tarnished reputation. Consider it "silver polish." Big Grin

* Speaking of crew: yes, 72 sailors. "The hell ... !?" you say. Well, here's the deal: when we went out last time, we had a much smaller crew. Losing 1/2 of that crew meant that we couldn't realistically sail onwards. That's why we're back at this port. Also, shifts can be spread out better amongst a larger crew, leaving the sailors more well-rested, and boosting morale among the ranks. This means they will work better, and less likely to mutiny. Plus, a surplus of crew means that we have more people to draw from if there is illness and/or death. This means we can keep going instead of turning back again.

In other words, Symon, I am living my dream by doing EXACTLY WHAT CORPORATE AMERICA REFUSES TO DO IN ITS HIRING PRACTICES UP YOURS CORPORATE AMERICA not that I'm bitter or anything.  Sleepy

Anyway, more crew = higher morale; better work; less mutiny; and a greater surplus/pool in case **** goes south again.

* Speaking of crew again: Did you know that there is a Seafarers' Guild? There is. They have nifty tattoos, indicative of membership and rank, and you can see these tattoos when you get into Fantasy Grounds again. Sailors who aren't guild members aren't necessarily bad, but I think the captain had a preference for guild members in good standing, especially ones of higher rank/experience. Ex-guild members -- those who have had their membership revoked by the guild due to bad behavior -- are obviously not desirable, and we weeded out at least one of those during the hiring process.

* Remember Oleg, the soldier from Onostia who sailed with us before as Hanter the Merchant's bodyguard? Oleg also accompanied us to the derelict Mary Celeste, I mean, Alexandra. Oleg is sailing with us again, y'all! Apparently he bought out his own mercenary contract and is no longer beholden to that merchant anymore. He likes the Acacia and wanted to sail with it again. He was worried about not being a Guild member, but Bahiyya found him on the docks and encouraged him to apply. She put in a good word for him, but the captain is pleased to hire him anyway, due to his past experience and his familiarity with the ship. Hurray! Thorfinn, did you know that he has a daughter of around Aurora's age? Smile

* Speaking of merchants: only Lyrlord will be with us for the redux voyage. Hanter and Ercell cut their losses and bailed.

You forgot the other un-guilded sailor who came from that unholy blackhead of a country where we found the evil ziggurat. His name may be Connel but he pronounces it Cunnel, which leads to a whole lot of speculative nick names; if you know what I mean. :O
Nay; I did not forget. I was going to instead wait and either

1) Mention him to the others, in character, during our next game session; or

2) Respect the young man's privacy and say nothing, and let it all play out and see what develops naturally.

But those are why I deliberately didn't mention Connal. Big Grin

And to back up something that frenzied67 said in the other thread -- don't worry about food/water and other such supplies. Those have already been laid in. In fact, Bahiyya and Kearse suggested/authorized extra provisions, to avoid shortage. Kearse has the Purify Food/Water spell, so can help us in case of spoilage.

I assume there is enough in the ship's stock to feed the party, too, although strictly speaking, the party is self-sufficient. Between our Ever-Bountiful Soup Kettle (feeds 6 people, 1x per day); Kearse's Heroes' Feast (1 divine breakfast of champions, 1x per day); and Bahiyya's Survival Pouch (full day's rations for up to 5 people, and/or 2 gallons of water 5x per day), the party can feed itself if needed. Plus, the Kettle (vegetable soup) and Heroes' Feast (cures disease) solve the problem of scurvy. Hurray!

Also, Thorfinn presumably still has his Everfull Mug (a gift from Bahiyya, back when), and that produces 12 ounces of water/ale/wine 3x per day, so Thorfinn can always wet his whistle.
As long as we are making a solid profit I'm okay with higher wages and more crew. Plus happier crew means much more efficient crew. We can become corporate once we become wealthy then we can hate the lower echelon. Until then I'm all about the people.

As far as the un-guilded crew member, Symon is not one to judge. His own background is filled with undesirable incidents that would be cause for ill will so he's much more accepting.
(12-08-2018, 03:24 PM)rimmermac Wrote: As long as we are making a solid profit I'm okay with higher wages and more crew.  Plus happier crew means much more efficient crew.  We can become corporate once we become wealthy then we can hate the lower echelon.  Until then I'm all about the people.

As far as the un-guilded crew member, Symon is not one to judge.  His own background is filled with undesirable incidents that would be cause for ill will so he's much more accepting.

I too shall not judge the man.... but did you get a load of how he pronounces his name? All sorts of cheap jokes can be had, man! LOL